Sunday, September 14, 2008

Starting Here

As the first post for this blog, I want to explain my rationale for why I am writing.

I am tired. I am tired of candidates, parties, organizations, or individuals speaking for entire groups of people.

How can bloggers and columnists claim that John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for VP is an "insult to all women." Do they speak for all women? Should Sarah Palin be insulted? And what of the millions of American women who will vote for the ticket?

Why should teachers be forced to be in a union? A union whose monies and efforts go towards candidates that many teachers don't support? Are these leaders so wise to know what is beneficial for each individual teacher?

As a gay man, I am frustrated with people telling me repeatedly that I am "voting against my own interest," or that I am "self-loathing," or that I will realize I am truly "a liberal at heart."

Yes, the GOP isn't perfect. No, I do not agree with John McCain on every issue. But I believe in many conservative ideals. And because I am conservative does make me any less a part of the gay community.

Both sides like to claim they are in touch with entire groups of people. I am simply stating that because I am a gay man, does not mean that my vote is predetermined to be cast for a liberal. I vote on more than gay issues. My identity is not contained in the word gay. I am first and foremost a Christian, then a human being, a scientist, a friend, etc., and somewhere down the line, gay. Being gay is part of who I am, and I embrace that. But it does not define me.

With this blog, I want to show the diversity of views within the gay community. I want to counter the anger from the gay community towards republicans, conservatives, fundamentalists, and Christian churches. I feel that the gay community responds with the same hostile attitudes that these groups are accused of displaying.

Lets restart the dialogue. Somewhere along the way, it got very one-sided.

No comments: